Saturday, October 25, 2008

Backpacking in the San Jacinto Mountains

Randy here. Thursday night I did a solo trip to the San Jacinto wilderness. Evening falling on the San Jacinto mountains along the Wellman divide looking into Little Tahquitz Valley.

Upon witnessing sunrise on San Jacinto peak a century ago, John Muir exclaimed, “The view from San Jacinto is the most sublime spectacle to be found anywhere on this earth!”
I don't know about that but. . . .


My lonely little camp site. There was not another soul in sight. Sleeping that night was totally quiet and the sky was clear and full of stars.




One more look at Little Tahquitz Valley.






My new tent served well as a solo tent. With the ground cloth, the tent weighs only 3 lbs 11 oz. It is spacious for one and appears sturdy.
The sleeping bag is also new and weighs 1 lb 7 oz. In total with 3 meals and 100 oz of water, my pack weighed a mere 23 lbs-a far cry better than the last time I did an overnighter carrying a pack that must have weighed 50 lbs!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: